Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Best Sugar Cookies Ever!

I absolutely love these sugar cookies! They are so delicious! I only bake these cookies for special occasions though because I can barely stop myself from eating them. I baked these this weekend for the special occasion that my pitcher's little sister graduated from college and got engaged! I'm so excited for her! Please note the fabulous shapes of the cookies I made her. Yes, that is a squirrel, a cowboy boot, some stars, a porcupine, and a high-five! :)


Ingredients
3 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup butter at room temperature
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 egg well beaten
1 tsp. lemon or vanilla extract (I always use vanilla)
1/2 cup sour cream


Cream butter in mixer. Add sugar, egg, and extract.


Mix in sour cream.


Combine baking soda and salt with flour. Slowly add to creamed mixture.


Chill dough for at least 2 hours. Once chilled, roll dough out on a well floured board or surface. I just cover the counter with wax paper, add flour, and roll the dough out on the counter.


Cut cookies with floured cutters. Bake at 400 degrees about 6-10 minutes (depending on thickness). Let cookies cool completely on a wire rack before icing. Believe me, I have been in a hurry and added the icing too quickly...it can get ugly! :)


Icing
Warm 1/2 cup butter to room temperature. Cream butter in mixer and gradually add 4 cups of sifted powdered sugar. Add 1 tablespoon milk. If necessary, add more milk one table spoon at a time until the frosting is creamy and spreadable, but not runny. Add food coloring if desired. I also add 1 teaspoon of meringue powder. This will allow the icing to harden slightly which makes it easier to wrap the cookies up as gifts.

During Christmas time, I like to cut the cookies in different size stars and stack them to make Christmas trees. The little Christmas trees make super cute and tasty gifts. I couldn't find a picture of any of my Christmas trees that I made, but this is an example of what the trees look like (mine don't quite look like this somehow though):


I love to find reasons to make these fabulous cookies. I purchased a tub of 100 cookie cutters from Bed Bath & Beyond (for $9.99 after coupons), so I can make cookies in all shapes and sizes for any occasion!

I hope you enjoy!

~Ms. Baseball

1 comment: