Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Philosophy of Charles Schultz

I was cleaning my desk at work today and I found this thing hanging on my wall that I completely forgot was even there. My boss gave these to my department a couple of years ago and it's been hanging on my wall ever since. I reread it again today and thought it had an interesting message that I wanted to share. 

The following was the philosophy of Charles Schultz, the creator of the "Peanuts" comic strip.

Read the following questions. You don't actually need to answer, just ponder them.
  1. Name the five wealthiest people in the world.
  2. Name the last five Heisman trophy winners.
  3. Name the last five winners of the Miss America Pageant.
  4. Name ten people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer Prize.
  5. Name the last half dozen Academy Award winners for best actor and actress.
  6. Name the last decade's worth of World Series winners. (This one wouldn't be THAT hard... ;))
How did you do?
The point is that none of us remember the headliners of yesterday and those are not second-rate achievers; they are the best in their fields. When the applause dies, the awards tarnish, the achievements are forgotten and the accolades and certificates are buried with their owners, then who is it that influences us the most?

Here is another quiz. See how you do on this one:
  1. List a few teachers who aided your journey through school.
  2. Name three friends who have helped you through a difficult time.
  3. Name five people who have taught you something worthwhile.
  4. Think of a few people who have made you feel appreciated and special.
  5. Think of five people you enjoy spending time with today.
Wasn't this quiz easier?
The lesson is that the people who make a difference in our lives are not the ones with the most credentials, money or awards. They simply are the ones who cared the most. 

This reminded me that we should spend our time focusing on what is important in life and remember to be ourselves because everyone else is taken. :)

Have a wonderful tonight and tomorrow.

~Ms. Baseball

1 comment: