Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Couponing!

I'm sure you have seen the famous, highly paid baseball players like Derek Jeter and A-Rod and thought to yourself that all baseball players must have it that good, right? Haha. I'll let you in on a little secret...let's just say that most Minor League Baseball players are not playing for the money. :)

Despite the lack of money, I still need to be able to afford to go visit my pitcher. Traveling the United States to visit him can become very expensive. So since our finances can be a little tight, I have found a fun hobby to save money. I have started couponing. I don't know if you have seen the show "Extreme Couponing," but this is what started it all for me. These people are amazing! If you have not seen it, I would suggest checking it out! It airs Wednesday nights at 9pm on TLC! I do not coupon to the extreme that these individuals do because I have found that true extreme couponing takes A LOT of time and would pretty much be a full time job. BTW, if any of you figure out how I can make this a full time job while still being able to pay my bills and go visit my pitcher, please let me know! ;)

Today I stopped by Target to purchase band-aids. Unfortunately, the other couponers beat me to Target and the store was all out of the children's band-aids I was planning on purchasing for $0.13 per box. Luckily, I was carrying all of my coupons on me (as I always do). So instead, by searching in the clearance section for other items that I had coupons for, I was able to purchase a large bottle of Olay body wash, an Olay body bar, 2 large tubes of Crest toothpaste, and a travel size tube of Crest toothpaste for only $2.66. My total savings today was 76%.


I have 4 coupon organizers that I always take into stores with me because you never know when you will need your coupons. In fact, the last time I traveled to visit my pitcher, I took all 4 of the coupon organizers across the country with me. My coupons are organized by like items with grocery coupons taking up 2 of the organizers, sundries taking up 1 of the organizers and the last organizer is miscellaneous coupons. The miscellaneous coupon organizer is my favorite because it's pink and my momma bought it for me! The other 3 I purchased from one of my favorite stores, the Dollar Tree. :)

I have found that by clipping coupons, searching in the clearance items, and using websites to match sales to coupons, I can save quite a bit of money on most anything I want!

Below are a few of my other purchases:

~$3 Spent & 85% Savings
(I got paid to buy the oatmeal!)

~$22 Spent & 63% Savings

 ~$50 Spent & 60% Savings

 Less than $22 Spent & 60% Savings

Less than $6 Spent & 75% Savings
(I got all 9 of the mashed potatoes for FREE!!)

Less than $2.50 Spent & 80% Savings
(I get a lot of free candy!)

It takes some time to search for coupons and cut them all out, but it is definitely worth it! I think I am going to invest in a paper cutter though. My favorite places to find coupons are:
I will warn you that most of the coupon printing websites will require you to download a coupon printer, so they can track which coupons and the amount of each coupon you have printed. 

Couponer's websites can also be very helpful for matching coupons to sales and finding the best deals. I greatly appreciate that they do the hard work for me! A few of my favorite websites are:
Couponing has become kind of an addiction for me! I have only been couponing for about 2 months, but I have found that I become a little sad when I can't use a coupon to purchase something and have to pay *gasp* full retail price. :) Now that I have realized how much money you can actually save by couponing, I'm not sure I will ever be able to do without!

Let me know if any of you have found any other websites or helpful tricks!

Until next time...

~Ms. Baseball

2 comments: